Well, I received the parts I ordered from Hong Kong as well as some ELM327 chips and I’ve got some great ideas for my next few projects. Unfortunately they both involve using the Chameleon dev kits I have ordered and I’m still waiting for those :(.
One of the projects will be a new Emotiv based video game project that should be a lot of fun to build/test. If the initial prototype works as well as I expect it to I may end up adding an XPORT to the board and making it “interwebs” compatible.
The other project I have planned will make use of the other Chameleon interfaced with an ELM327 chip that will poll my truck’s MCU. [Yeah, I know, it’s not as cool as writing all the VPW code myself… but $19 for a pre-made multi-protocol solution makes sense to me] The plan is to use the NTSC output I generate with the car’s computer values (mph/kph, throttle%, mass air flow, etc.) from the Chameleon to a .4″ 640*480 VGA display mounted in a pair of sunglasses to make a little portable HUD. I’m assuming I’ll be able to adjust the opacity so that it doesn’t become obstructive to the driver’s view… but we’ll see how it goes. Worst case scenario I’ll have a portable DVD player that can overlay onto a pair of sunglasses for the plane rides to HOPE and Defcon this summer 😀 [Which probably wouldn’t be bad considering the manufacturer claims these displays are like watching a 60″ TV from 10′ away]
Well, I’ve gotten my spectrophotometer working. In all honesty I took a couple of lazy days and hadn’t looked at it, but once I got it open it only took me a few mins to notice a broken wire. Soldered it, close it and bingo 😀 Sadly I didn’t have the forethought to ask for a cuvette or any spare standards when I got the unit, so I have no way to properly calibrate it, but I’m going to keep my eyes open for any that I can pick up on the cheap… not that I really have much use for a spectrophotometer anyway… 🙂
I have also been inspired by Ripspinner for my next project and have decided to revisit the Emotiv EPOC headset. FWIW Rip has also begun to create a TF2 mod for the EPOC headset. I haven’t had time to check it out yet, but I’m curious and plan to do so in the next little bit. Anyways, I have ordered some parts from Hong Kong, which will probably take a while to get here, but once they do the rest of it shouldn’t take me long to assemble. Stay tuned, I promise it’ll be shocking 😀
I have finally gotten around to re-writing some of my old code and re-recording a proper demo of controlling physical objects using thoughts by interfacing an EEG headset with an Arduino. While this technology is interesting and exciting, before anyone sees this as an endorsement for this particular EEG headset, I strongly recommend reading my full review of the device below. Those of you who have no interest in purchasing such a device can simply enjoy the show :D.