Tag Archive: library


**UPDATE: Lauszus has updated the library to work with the Panasonic and JVC Protocols. See the link to his version in the comments below. Big thanks to him for sharing 🙂

Here is the Arduino IR library with working Panasonic protocol support that people have been asking about. I have also included a very basic sketch that will send the “Power” code to turn the TV on/off. Please be VERY AWARE that this is the OLD Panasonic protocol that has been implemented. That’s the reason the video uses my crappy 20″ TV instead of my new bigscreen. I may decide to implement the new protocol one day, but I just have too much on the go right now to pull it off. Enjoy!

I have been having some timing issues with my Panasonic IR protocol library that I’ve been working on, so I decided to put the project on hold while I awaited the delivery of my new USBEE logic analyzer. When I initially ordered the device I must have had a brain-fart because I neglected to change UPS from the default shipper. When it arrived yesterday I was blown away to find that on top of the $20 delivery charge they wanted $59 for duties on a $130 item. That’s right… $79 to ship a $130 item that fits into a small envelope. I’ll admit that my jaw almost hit the ground, but I’ll guarantee that it wasn’t 1/2 as funny as the driver’s face when I told him I wasn’t paying it and that I refused delivery. I have known for a very long time that UPS charges insane brokerage rates for cross-border items and am usually very careful not to order anything shipped by them. I was fully expecting to pay ~$30 or so over and above the $20 in shipping, but this was just too much.

The upshot of all of this is that I saved over $130 because instead of re-ordering I decided to do more searching for arduino IR libraries and, thankfully, found one on Ken Shirriff’s blog here. The Panasonic protocol isn’t included in the library, but luckily a user posted code for it in the comments below. I have yet to actually test this out, but I’m hopeful that it will go well. In the meantime I’ve decided to wait until the Client Software for the Open Bench Logic Sniffer has some protocol decoders completed to order one of those (sorry USBEE).

I hope to post an update on my progress (hopefully I will have a fully working unit :D) shortly.

Cheers!