As an update to my previous post, my IR setup is tested and working just fine. The library from Ken Shirriff’s blog worked great. I had to do some tweaking to get the Panasonic protocol working which took a bit of time because I had to go through all of the code to debug and find the problems, but it certainly paid off in the end. Range is currently limited (~10ft.) but I’m going to be adding a transistor to my final design so that I can boost output to the IR LED. Next step is to hook it up to my EEG so that I can turn my TV on/off by thought alone. Stay tuned, I should have a video of it ready any day now 😀
I have been having some timing issues with my Panasonic IR protocol library that I’ve been working on, so I decided to put the project on hold while I awaited the delivery of my new USBEE logic analyzer. When I initially ordered the device I must have had a brain-fart because I neglected to change UPS from the default shipper. When it arrived yesterday I was blown away to find that on top of the $20 delivery charge they wanted $59 for duties on a $130 item. That’s right… $79 to ship a $130 item that fits into a small envelope. I’ll admit that my jaw almost hit the ground, but I’ll guarantee that it wasn’t 1/2 as funny as the driver’s face when I told him I wasn’t paying it and that I refused delivery. I have known for a very long time that UPS charges insane brokerage rates for cross-border items and am usually very careful not to order anything shipped by them. I was fully expecting to pay ~$30 or so over and above the $20 in shipping, but this was just too much.
The upshot of all of this is that I saved over $130 because instead of re-ordering I decided to do more searching for arduino IR libraries and, thankfully, found one on Ken Shirriff’s blog here. The Panasonic protocol isn’t included in the library, but luckily a user posted code for it in the comments below. I have yet to actually test this out, but I’m hopeful that it will go well. In the meantime I’ve decided to wait until the Client Software for the Open Bench Logic Sniffer has some protocol decoders completed to order one of those (sorry USBEE).
I hope to post an update on my progress (hopefully I will have a fully working unit :D) shortly.
So my SparkFun order came in today. I received some IR LEDs, some IR ICs w/ EEPROM that can record IR signals from any remote, store them and then perform an action when they are detected again (by controlling digital output pins). I also got some Nintendo DS touchscreens and breakout boards for them and a few other little toys.